The Senior Pastor of Lakeside Presbyterian Church is responsible to lead and guide members and church staff by preaching, teaching, and providing a vision for the church’s outreach ministries. With God’s help, the Senior Pastor will serve as the chief visionary to lead the church forward in fulfilling God’s purpose. Serving the Lord Jesus Christ, he or she is expected to model membership in the Body of Christ to the staff and congregation—through compassion, encouragement, cooperation, prayer support, and other appropriate ways.
- The Senior Pastor will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values, and strategy of the church.
- The Pastor will align ordained staff, lay staff, and key leadership teams with its mission.
- The Pastor will offer pastoral leadership to the congregation alongside clergy and lay ministers.
- The Pastor ensures that the processes, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support all ministry activities.
The Senior Pastor reports to the Session—the ruling Elders of the church. Most of the Pastor’s direct reports form the Executive Council and include:
- The Senior Pastor of the Spanish-Language Congregation
- Senior Director of Ministry Outreach
- Congregational Care Pastor
- Senior Director of Business and Management.
The Associate Pastor of Discipleship also reports to the Senior Pastor.
Leadership: The Senior Pastor’s leadership helps the church accomplish great things for the glory of God and his kingdom.
- Moderate the church Session, the governing body of the church
- Coordinate and lead the Church Executive Council’s weekly meetings to assure decisions are made and resulting tasks are executed in a timely manner
- Prioritize critical ministry matters in a way that essential assignments are accomplished
- Provide guidance for other church staff members to assure they effectively accomplish the tasks assigned to them
- Attend Deacons meetings in an advisory capacity, as needed
- Motivate others in the congregation and community to support the church’s many ministries
- Resolve conflicts which naturally arise between congregants
Vision: As a visionary, the Senior Pastor sets the overarching goals for our church.
- Embrace our church’s existing vision and motivate others to implement that vision
- Continually discern with sensitivity the path the Lord has for our church
- As appropriate, create and articulate a new vision or visions for our church
Teaching: The Senior Pastor trains and disciples members and attendees in the Christian faith.
- Teach ‘walking in the way of Christ’ by example
- Preach Bible-based content effectively in weekly sermon messages
- Teach regular Bible classes through development of a topical curriculum, in coordination with the Associate Pastor or Discipleship
- Work to strengthen our Bible class program with new teachers, additional topics, and time slots.
- Coach potential Bible class leaders to become strong teachers
- Oversee staff training, mentoring and spiritual development
- Help Elders and Deacons focus on their responsibilities as Christ’s servants
- Teach New Members classes
Pastoring: The Senior Pastor shepherds the church members by gentle example and inspirational preaching.
- Primary responsibility for worship services
- Prepare weekly sermons and order of worship
- Coordinate with music leadership
- Conduct worship services
- Officiate at special services, such as confirmations, baptisms, weddings and funerals
- Assist the Pastor of Congregational Care, as needed, to provide care and counseling to church members and assistance in crisis situations
- Act as spiritual head of the church
- Provide a godly example to the church (integrity, love, caring, grace, and humility)
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of the Bible and prayerful communication with God
- Resolve congregants’ doctrinal issues
- Provide spiritual discipline, when needed
- Adhere to the Church Bylaws and Policies and Procedures adopted by the church according to the 2013 PCUSA Book of Order
- Master’s degree in Divinity, Theology, or related field is preferred
- 5+ years as an ordained pastor of a growing church or equivalent experience in ministry
- Spiritual discernment for making decisions according to God’s will
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Exceptional preaching and teaching skills
- Organizational and management skills
If you are interested in filling this position, please send your resume with references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org